Be Careful What You “Declare War” On!
by sherry mann
“This tea party movement can be a healthy thing if they are making us justify every dollar of taxes we raise and every dollar of money we’ve spent, but when you get mad, sometimes you end up producing the exact opposite result of what you say you are for.”
Bill Clinton on the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing.
Can that really be true? Let’s look at a few examples:
War on Drugs
The “War on Drugs” was a term was first used by President Richard Nixon in 1969. Since then, the initiative has had countless laws, initiatives and policies have gone into effect which were supposed to discourage the production, distribution, and consumption of everything from pot to heroine. According to Wikipedia:
- In 1970, the Nixon administration implemented the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970.
- In 1973, the Drug Enforcement Agency was created to replace the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.
- In 1988 Ronald Reagan created the Office of National Drug Control Policy for central coordination of drug-related legislative, security, diplomatic, research and health policy throughout the government. The director of ONDCP is commonly known as the Drug Czar. The position was raised to cabinet-level status by Bill Clinton in 1993.
Obviously, the drug war saves lives by reducing murders.
But surely, it reduces violent crimes and property crimes.
That may not have been the best example either.
Okay, but CERTAINLY the use of drugs has gone down…
(This is getting embarrassing.)
Alright then, let’s use the example of the War on Terror.
The War on Obesity?
War on Teen Pregnancy!
Finally. Mission accomplished!
Let’s just hope we don’t ever declare “War on Education”!
(Scientific understanding test–international results)
Maybe we already have.
Possibly Related Posts:
- I Am A Criminal
- Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally
- Fight of the Century: Keynes vs. Hayek Round Two
- Military patrols start Friday night in downtown Columbus
- Arizona Senate approves ‘birther’ bill
Short URL: http://www.thelibertyvoice.com/?p=3339